Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Indian Epics Overview

I'll admit that I know very little about the epics and culture of India, but have always been fascinated by it nonetheless. The little that I do know comes from movies, television, and the occasional world news story. Recently, I watched a show called Sense8 and so I learned a little bit about one of the gods in India, Ganesha, because a main character would go to the temple to pray to him. For that reason, I chose this image for my blog post because I'm hoping to learn more about this deity.
A photo of Ganesha from Wikimedia Commons
Otherwise, I know very little about Indian mythology, but that is why I took this class. I'm very excited to learn more because I love mythology from other cultures. I've never taken a formal class on mythology, but I've read books on Egyptian, Celtic, and Greek mythology and I think it is so interesting to see how other cultures interpret things. It's one of the reasons that I decided to be an anthropology major!

After reading over the information for this semester, I'm definitely interested in some of the more contemporary versions of the epics we will be reading for this class. I'm not sure if I would choose just the graphic novels or the animated film, but I think that I may use them to supplement the actual texts during the semester. They seem very interesting!

I'm also excited to listen to some of the music of India because I really love music. This semester I'm also taking a World Music course, so I'm hoping that, in addition to the music offered as course resources, I may get the opportunity to listen to some Indian music in my World Music course and study it more in depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment