Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Reading Plan

For this half of the semester, I think I want to study and read a variety of stories. Since my project is a storybook featuring a compilation of many different stories, I want to be able to draw from many different sources. Also, I want at least a few of those stories to feature Surya as a major character. For one of the weeks, I would like to read the story Surya: How the Sun God Was Tamed by Maya Balse. It would offer some good insight into my narrator and also give me some potential story ideas.

For the next two weeks, I would like to read Narayan's The Mahabharata. Surya and his family play a pretty major role in The Mahabharata and I would like to read a different version of this story that is more like a novel. I enjoyed Narayan's version of The Ramayana, so I think I will also enjoy his version of the other epic.

Because he is Surya's son, I would also like to read more about Karna. A comic book that seems fairly interesting about him is the one by Anant Pai called Karna: Brave, Generous, Ill-Fated Prince
Death of Karna found on Wikimedia Commons
This is what I'm thinking so far, but I'm not sure if this is exactly what I'm going to follow. Also, I have not decided what I am going to read for the last two weeks, but I think I want to read another version of the Mahabharata or two other comic books. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds great, Natalie! The comic books are short (32 pages usually), so you would do comic books in a week. Surya and Karna would make one week, for example... and there are so many other comic books to choose from too if you decide you like those. I had so much fun reading the comic books this summer; lots of great stories! There's also a book all about Karna that might interest you: Karna The Unsung Hero of the Mahabharata. We don't have it in the Library but the Kindle is just $3. If you think you might like to read that book, I will add it to the list of reading options! Send me an email if that interests you and I will use the email as a reminder to add that book to the list!

    ReplyDelete