Monday, October 12, 2015

Reflections: Looking Back

So far this semester, I have enjoyed this class immensely. It allows me to be a lot more creative than my other classes and doing the work for this class is often a break from my other work. I like to do my readings during breaks between classes on campus because it allows me to focus on the reading with little distraction so I can get as much from the story as possible. I've tried to read in my apartment, but I often multi-task and do not focus on the week's reading as much. I do like to do the storytelling portion of the assignment at my apartment, though, because I have found that listening to music or watching my favorite show can give me inspiration for a story.

I haven't done any growth mindset challenges so far this semester, officially, but I have been trying to vary my storytelling styles to add variation and to help me grow as a storyteller. Some of my favorite stories that I've told this semester have been ones that I have changed drastically, in style and in content, because I felt they were the most original and most fun to write. For example, this story about Sugriva and Vali is my favorite that I've written this semester and it is one that I changed the most from the original. 

I'm also enjoying writing my storybook, but it's fairly difficult because it is a lot different than anything I've attempted so far this semester. I'm trying to characterize someone and create a mental image solely through the dialogue used by the narrator. The storytelling aspect is just a simple form, but the introductions to the "episodes" are a lot more complex. I'm pretty proud of my introduction to my storybook, but I want to work a little harder on my next stories. I have the mental image in my head, I just have to get it out and on the computer!

iPod image found on Wikimedia Commons



2 comments:

  1. I’m glad you are enjoying this class so much! It’s my favorite class this semester. It’s a great idea that you watch television or listen music when you write your stories. I’ve also received a lot of inspiration from television shows. What are some places that you’ve received inspiration from? I’ve included information from Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and Breaking Bad into my stories. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are definitely staying on top of things for this class so far! I have missed the deadline for a couple of assignments so it sounds like you are using a better strategy than me. I'm glad you are enjoying the class so much, this is one of my favorite classes too. It really is a nice and relaxing break from your other major-specific classes.

    ReplyDelete