Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Week 7 Reading Diary B: Peter Brook's The Mahabharata

1. Yudishthira gambles again after gaining his and his brother's freedom and they are forced into exile.

2. I like the scene where Vyasa describes the Pandavas exiting the city to Dhritarashtra. I think it's a very interesting scene because it did not show the Pandavas, but allowed Vyasa to just describe them . 

3. Amba asks Bhima to kill Bhishma but he refuses because he loves and respects Bhishma. She says that he is responsible for her ruin and that she only wishes to kill him.

4. I like when Draupadi asks Yudishthira why he gambled away everything. It was a good speech and I would like an answer as well. 

5. The story of Hidimbi was interesting to watch. I love the costuming and the lighting they used because it was very interesting. The relationship between Bhima and Hidimbi was very interesting and I liked her character. I thought it was interesting when they began narrating their own story about Ghatotkacha.
Image of Hidimbi found on Wikimedia Commons
6. I liked what Vyasa said about some things being able to be stopped with a word, but some things are going to happen no matter what.

7. I liked the scene where Arjuna shot arrows at the hunter he meets in the forest and the man catches one of the arrows in his teeth. I loved the part where he reveals himself to be Shiva as well.

8. Urvashi curses Arjuna for rejecting her, forcing him to live as a woman and to lose his virility.

9. I liked the scene with Dharma and Yudishthira at the pool. It clarified some things because I was unsure why they did not answer the questions first, but now I understand that they were given an extreme thirst.

I enjoyed watching this version of the Mahabharata by Peter Brook. It cleared the story up for me and it was a very interesting and enjoyable film. Even though this is only the one week version, I think I am going to finish watching the film because I really like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment